Number and Algebra
Chapter 7 - Expressions, formulae
Overview of the chapter
- These are problem solving open-ended questions that require students use formulae. The tasks can be given at the start of a topic and done as the students gain enough knowledge to complete them, inserted into a topic at an appropriate place or given as homework or extension.
- Can you work a spread sheet?
- Shoes on feet
> More on "Rich tasks for this Chapter"...
Writing and understanding expressions
- Explores how expressions can be used to model situations
> More on "Writing and understanding expressions"...
Modelling real life situations with formulae
- Explores how formulae can be written from rules written in words and how they are used to model situations.
- Gives practice at using formulae to solve problems.
> More on "Modelling real life situations with formulae"...
- Explores writing equations for Cuisenaire rods and how these equations can be written in different ways.
- Introduces solving equations using inverse operations using “I think of a number” problems.
> More on "Equations"...