Number and Algebra
Chapter 3 - FRACTIONS
Overview of the chapter
- These are problem solving open-ended questions that require students to investigate the history of fractions, teach how to share when the answer is a fraction and to investigate equivalent fractions. These tasks can be given at the start of a topic and done as the students gain enough knowledge to complete them, inserted into a topic at an appropriate place, or given as homework or extension.
- History of Fractions
- Tangram fractions
> More on "Rich tasks for this Chapter"...
Fractions greater than 1
- Convert between improper fractions and mixed fractions.
> More on "Fractions greater than 1"...
- Understand, identify and create equivalent fractions.
- Simplify fractions to their simplest form.
> More on "Equivalent fractions"...
Adding and subtracting fractions
- Draw diagrams to show addition of fractions with the same denominator.
- Add and subtract fractions with the same denominator, giving answers as fractions and mixed fractions in their simplest from.
> More on "Adding and subtracting fractions"...
Comparing and ordering fractions using number lines and benchmarks
- Using estimation and comparison with 1/2.
- Estimating using number knowledge and deciding if fractions are greater or less than 1/2 and whether they are closer to 0, 1/2 or 1.
- Using a number line.
- By creating equivalent fractions (related denominators).
> More on "Comparing and ordering fractions using number lines and benchmarks"...
Finding fraction of
- Finding a fraction of a whole by finding a unit fraction first.
> More on "Finding fractions of"...